There are numerous types of tortoises, are available in the market for sale such as Russian, Radiated, African Spurred Tortoise etc. These tortoises for sale are famous for their different qualities. Some are cheap in rates and easy to take care off. Others are quite expensive as well as hard to take care off. Tortoise meet and shell are the basic things which attract the breeders for their farming. Tortoise breeds are classified upon the qualities of their shell and meat. Some of the famous breeds of tortoises are: Horsfield’s Tortoise, Marginated Tortoise, Leopard tortoises, Hermann's tortoises, Tunisian Spur Tortoise, and Russian Tortoise.
All Tortoise Breeds
• Aberrant Leopard Tortoise • African Pancake Tortoise
• African Spurred Toroise • Albino Chaco Tortoise
• Albino Hermans Tortoise • Albino Red Footed Tortoise
• Albino Sulcatta Tortoise • Aldabra Tortoise
• Amazon Basin Yellow Footed Tortoise • Black Greek Tortoise
• Black Red Footed Tortoise • Black Yellow Footed Tortoise
• Blonde Red Footed Tortoise • Bolivian Cherry Headed Red Footed Tortoise
• Burmese Black Mountain Tortoise • Burmese Brown Mountain Tortoise
• Burmese Star Tortoise • Cherry Headed Red Footed Tortoise
• Chocolate Red Footed Tortoise • Desert Tortoise
• Eastern Hermann's Tortoise • Egyptian Tortoise
• Elongated Tortoise • Forest Hinge-Backed Tortoise
• Forstens Tortoise • Galapagos Tortoise
• Ghost Red Footed Tortoise • Golden Greek Tortoise
• Gopher Tortoise • Greek Tortoise
• Greek Tortoise • Grenada Island Red Footed Tortoise
• Hermans Tortoise • Hermans Tortoise (Caramel)
• High Color Red Footed Tortoise • High White Leopard Tortoise
• High Yellow Forstens Tortoise • High Yellow Indian Star Tortoise
• Honey Colored Red Footed Tortoise • Horsfields Tortoise
• Indian Star Tortoise • Italian Marginated Tortoise
• Ivory Cherry Head Red Footed Tortoise • Kleinman's Tortoise
• Leopard Tortoise• Leopard Tortoise • Madagascar Flat Shelled Spider Tortoise
• Malagasy Spider Tortoise • Marginated Tortoise
• Marokkensis Greek Tortoise • Northern Red Foot Tortoise
• Radiated Tortoise • Red Footed Tortoise
• Russian Tortoise • Serrated Hingeback Tortoise
• South African Lobatse Hingeback Tortoise • Speke's Hinge-Backed Tortoise
• Sri Lankan Star Tortoise • Sulcatta Tortoise
• Travancore Tortoise • Two Headed Sulcatta Tortoise
• Two-Headed Eastern Hermann's Tortoise • Unique Red Footed Tortoise
• Weissinger's Tortoise • Yellow Footed Tortoise
Tortoise Farming Process
Tortoise farming is a profitable business now a day. When you think of starting tortoise farming, the first question arises in your mind is where to buy tortoises? Well there are plenty of online shops selling varieties types of pet tortoises as well as tortoises for farming.
Choosing a Tortoise
The very basic step in the tortoise farming is the selection of a specific tortoise species. Selection of a particular breed should be based upon the environmental needs and diet requirements. Different tortoise breeds have different adult sizes such as a Russian tortoise is 4 to 6 inch long.
The housing of tortoises is the most important factor in the process of their farming. Most of the tortoises love burrowing in the morning or midnight. The first thing you need to do is to keep your fence buried into earth deeply so that they may not escape. Baby tortoises can tolerate a range of weathers but they cannot stay in dump weather so a dry, warm retreat is recommended for them. Pet tortoises are also treated in the same way.
The selection of food for the tortoises is another important factor in modern world of farming. Always provide a shallow dish of water to tortoises. Most of the tortoise species are fed with staple diet but it does not mean that all types of tortoises like this. There is a long list of fruits, vegetables and plants that are loved by the tortoises i.e. Dandelion, Clover, Plantain, Heather, apple, peach, cucumber, kale, cress, carrot etc. This sort of diet is quite nutritious and helps in keeping the tortoises healthy and active. A desert tortoise’s diet mainly consists of safe grasses and weeds.
Benefits of Tortoise Farming
Tortoise farming is one of the best businesses for the people living in country side as they have vast space in their houses as well as in fields to keep a handsome number of new breeds. This will help them in earning more money as the usage of tortoise in restaurants increasing day by day. There are several benefits of tortoise farming -
- Very small area is required to start tortoise farming.
- They are usually harmless.
- A large number of tortoises can be kept in a small area. So farmers can rear a huge number of tortoises with any worry of buying an extra land.
- The price of tortoise meat is getting higher day by day that means a massive profit for the tortoise farmers.
- The use of tortoise meet in production of cosmetics is also getting popular that is a sign of prosperous future tortoise farming.
- Tortoise plastrons (part of shell) are also being widely used in Chinese traditional medicines.